Thursday, March 31, 2011

Unforgettable Phone Calls

It was a winter afternoon in late January 1966, when the telephone rang.  My nine year old self was in our kitchen showing my mother some of the 'treasures' I had purchased earlier that day at my school's White Elephant Sale.  As I was walking into the living room to answer it, I told my mother that this was going to be someone calling to tell us that Canada Oma had died.  ( My two German grandmothers were distinguished by the country they lived in, with my paternal grandmother here, and Deutschland Oma still in Germany).  Sure enough, it was my uncle calling from Peace River, to inform us that his mother had passed away there in her sleep.  She had not been seriously ill and was only 62 years of age so this was not something we had been expecting.  That is my first memory of connection to spirit and I believe that it is from her that I inherited my ability to 'see' and know the other.  Fast forward to the call I received a few weeks ago, just before 2pm on March 7th.  My husband called me on my cell and without any preamble asked me where I was. I told him I was at home and all he said was, "Wait there, I'll be home in ten minutes," and hung up. In that moment I knew that my son was dead.  I walked out into the backyard, stood in the sunshine with my eyes closed and from deep within I asked the Universe to please give me the strength to endure what lay before me. 

4 comments:

Gena said...

Wow. I wonder how many of us have the same ability but choose to tune it out.

Kindread said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vera said...

Living each day knowing that it is 100% guaranteed that this unique reincarnation each one of us is experiencing will end - no exceptions. Accepting this gives way to freedom from the fear. Knowing that we are always deeply connected through spirit sustains me.

Kindread said...
This comment has been removed by the author.