Friday, June 3, 2011

Missing Leg

As I sat on the examining table in my doctor's office awaiting a routine procedure, I reflected on the comment she had made a few moments before.  A mother herself, she had shared that she could not imagine what it would feel like to lose a child.  I was looking down at my legs hanging off the edge of the table when an analogy jumped into my mind.   I have two healthy legs I depend on, and hope they will be available to me for a long time.  If I were to have one amputated today, I do not know what it would feel like but there is no question that I would carry on and learn how to get around with only one leg.  People do. However, there would be very few moments in a day when I would not be thinking about that missing leg.  I imagine this would ease over time but it would never be forgotten.  

No comments: