Monday, August 1, 2011

Saying the Wrong Thing

"Are you over it yet?"  This from a loving and well meaning relative yesterday.  The resulting tears due in part to the shock of hearing it asked.  Twenty one weeks ago today.  Accept it?  Yes.  Over it?  No.  Not able to imagine it is something one ever gets "over".  Saying the wrong thing.   How often I have done that myself.  Sometimes knowing it as soon as the words left my lips.  At other times, the realization coming later.   Add in the moments of being totally unaware of the effect my words had on another.  Perhaps this is why some people neglect to make any reference at all to what has transpired.  Even though it is the first time we have seen each other since it happened.  Even though they know.  Fear of saying the wrong thing.  I understand.  

No comments: